Server Fault is for system administrators and desktop support professionals, people who manage or maintain computers in a professional capacity for their company or clients.
If your question is about…
- Servers - hardware - Operating Systems: linux windows-server-2008 freebsd openbsd solaris aix - Server Software: apache2 exchange-server-2010 sharepoint - Virtualization: vmware-esxi hyper-v kvm xen jails
- Business or Enterprise storage systems san fibre-channel raid
- Desktop PCs that you maintain in the workplace, including
- Networks inside the professional workplace routing switch firewall
- Operations and Maintenance topics such as backup monitoring disaster-recovery scripting
and it is not about…
- Projects or uses of technology in a home setting. That includes the use of any of the above acceptable topics in a home environment.
- Product or service recommendations. This includes requests for tutorials, books or other learning materials.
- Career, salary, personnel, employment, or formal education
- Licensing and Legal (lex legis)
- Circumventing security or policy
- Unauthorised hacking, password cracking, or system abuse and misuse
We have sister sites…
- StackOverflow for Programming
- SuperUser for Networking, Servers, or Technology outside the professional workplace
- Unix & Linux for general Unix/Linux computer troubleshooting
- DBA for advanced database topics
- IT Security for advanced security (implementation, theory, white hat)
We also have…
… a list of the most common questions with links to the "best" answer we've identified.