I upvote any question that was downvoted and no reason was provided for the downvote !!!!
The decline of StackOverflow:
Delphi is 2nd most hated language. Congrats Embarcadero!
Randomly deleted questions on SO: https://sergworks.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/why-stackoverflow-sucks/
Why Borland failed?
The Borland Turbo languages where the Cat's Pajamas.
Microsoft countered with the Quick languages.
Borland made Turbo Pascal for Windows and with Objects and then made Delphi.
Microsoft countered with Visual BASIC.
Borland made Borland C++ and JBuilder.
Microsoft countered with Visual C++ and Visual J++/J# and then later Visual C#. The free IDEs and Free compiler languages ate into Borland's sales. Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, BlueJ, Sublime Text, GNU C/C++, Apple XCode, FreePascal/Lazarus, Ruby/Ruby on Rails, Python, Code::Blocks, etc.
In 2005 Microsoft introduce Visual Studio Express a free version of their development tools. Like Amiga, Borland had the superior technology, but cheaper/free alternatives undercut their sales. Mostly it was the free and open source revolution that did Borland in.
- Stack Overflow 19.4k 19.4k 2020 gold badges139139 silver badges263263 bronze badges
- Super User 1.9k 1.9k 66 gold badges2828 silver badges4848 bronze badges
- Electrical Engineering 705 705 22 gold badges1414 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Server Fault 325 325 33 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Travel 215 215 22 silver badges66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 45 Buffered files (for faster disk access)
- 44 What is the difference between the new TFileOpenDialog and the old TOpenDialog?
- 40 How do I get back the old Task Manager (from Windows 7) in Windows 10?
- 26 How do I run a JAR file without installing Java?
- 26 What is new in multithreading in Delphi XE?
- 23 Using inherited in the "Create" constructor of an TObject
- 21 Simple anti-aliasing function for Delphi 7
- View more network posts →