Myself being a DBA and new to Stack Exchange I would agree in part with @KennyRasschaert.
My job as a DBA is to optimize the performance, configure the settings and debug errors on the database engine level, be it Microsoft SQL or Oracle Database Server.
In my job I am not responsible for the configuration and/or tuning of the underlying Windows Server.
From my perspective I would do the following if asking questions regarding an SQL problem:
- SQL DDL (data defintion language) questions would be placed in the DBA.stackexchange.com site (Questions are or can be database specific)
- SQL DML (data manipulation language) questions would be placed in the stackoverflow.com site (SQL DML is based on the ANSI Standard 92 and newer and is nearly the same for any flavour of your database engine)
- Database engine question would be placed in DBA.stackexchange.com site
- Database optimizing/configuration questions would be placed in DBA.stackexchanage.com site
- Questions regarding performace would be first asked in DBA.stackexchange.com and if found to be server questions moved to serverfault.com
You could add more sub-structures to my idea, but it accounts for most questions that could be asked.