While I get the need for separation of SE sites, I found myself in a situation where the answer I was looking for wasn't on ServerFault but rather SuperUser. Typically I don't venture over there very often, but something in me thought "I wonder if they know?" I've also found this to be true on NetworkEngineering.stackexchange.com but since that's in beta I'll leave that one be. In theory I guess I could use Google and set site: info there to query both of them, but a little too much work to be honest.
So, I'm interested in this discussion and possibly feature-request.
Can the search window query additional results on sites other than ServerFault.com?
Positive reasons to do so:
- New folks that quickly search for "How do I uninstall a program on Windows 8?" here and don't get an easy result won't just fire off a new question. The additional results from Superuser.com would help quell this.
- Helps the point of a "network of sites" instead of disparate sites on their own island
- More collaboration/information is usually a good thing
Negative reasons to do so:
- SU might want the same on their site...which could lead non sysadmins here
- The sites user database isn't the same, requiring them to create an account on the sister site if they want to upvote a question/answer they find in search (I don't care about this, but some might)